I am a consultant psychiatrist and MBCT teacher and trainer. I lead a mindfulness team within a large mental health Trust. The team provides eight-week programmes of MBCT for: individuals with recurrent depression; stressed carers and parents; Trust staff; and for other local organisations. We have just begun to deliver a year-long foundation level MBCT teacher training course.
- MB BChir (University of Cambridge) – 1988
- Member of the Royal College of Psychiatrists – 1993
- Associate Teacher at the Oxford Mindfulness Centre – 2012
I have been a supervisor since 2012, supervising many staff within the Trust where I work as well as mindfulness teachers working in other settings. I am trained in the MBI:TAC. My teacher-training apprenticeship was with Mark Williams and my current supervisor is Christina Surawy at the Oxford Mindfulness Centre.
- Implementation of MBCT in the NHS.
I first learnt mindfulness meditation while travelling in Sri Lanka in 1982, but my regular practice really began in 2002.
Research Activities and Interests
- Evaluation of MBIs in real life settings.